Background: Raelians Clone First Human.
While Your Narrator’s views on cloning will remain deeply shrouded in mystery, your friend and mentor Carl recently shared his thoughts in an email exchange:
The fact that this is easy enough for a member of a silly cult to
accomplish is very significant. I now suspect that this has been done
before by wealthy would-be parents who kept it quiet. This will surely
change humanity, but it is difficult to imagine how. The more popular
scenarios seem very unlikely to me:
- The weirdos who want to clone tyrants and cult leaders will be very
ineffective, and so will be any clones they manage to create. I believe we
are already surrounded by thousands of would-be Hitlers, Stalins, and Jim
Joneses, but it requires unusual circumstances for someone to be permitted
to do so much evil. An evil clone will be preceded by knowledge of his
propensities and possible agendas, which will greatly reduce the clone’s
- There will be very few if any instances where someone grows clones to
harvest for body parts, and those who try to do this will be prosecuted
severely by any government.
- Given that the vast majority of children are not preceded by any
planning nor preparation whatsoever, neither cloning nor any other type of
genetic engineering will become the typical way to have children.
On the other hand:
- Some people will be able to get some semblance of their dead children
- Our future Ghandis, Einsteins, and Mozarts will surely be cloned, though
it remains to be seen whether people with identical bodies will be similar
- A small percentage of people will choose to have children with “known
good” DNA instead of risking a new and untested combination.
Overall, this seems more likely to be a good thing than a bad thing.
If anyone would care to share with The Narrator why they feel cloning is a good or bad idea and would be willing to do so with an un-emotional and logical tone, by all means, do.